Are ants invading your kitchen? Tips to get rid of them for good
Ants are one of the most common household pests, and they can be a real nuisance in the kitchen. If you’re struggling with an ant problem, there are a few things you can do to get rid of them.
Identify the Type of Ant You’re Dealing With
The first step to getting rid of ants is to identify the type of ant you’re dealing with. There are many different species of ants, and each one requires a different approach to get rid of them. The most common type of ant in the kitchen is the sugar ant. These ants are attracted to sweet things like sugar and honey. If you have sugar ants in your kitchen, the best way to get rid of them is to remove their food source.
Another common type of ant in the kitchen is the grease ant. These ants are attracted to greasy foods like bacon and butter. If you have grease ants in your kitchen, the best way to get rid of them is to clean up any spills and crumbs.
The last type of ant that is common in the kitchen is the pavement ant. These ants are attracted to anything made of concrete or asphalt. If you have pavement ants in your kitchen, the best way to get rid of them is to fill in any cracks or crevices where they might be living.
There are many other types of ants that can be found in the kitchen, but these are the three most common. Once you’ve identified the type of ant you’re dealing with, you can move on to the next step.
How to Get Rid of Ants in Kitchen
The best way to get rid of ants in your kitchen is by using home made remedies. Here are some of the most effective ones:
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a natural ant repellent. All you need to do is to sprinkle some cinnamon powder around the areas where you see ants entering your kitchen.
- Peppermint – Peppermint is another natural ant repellent. You can either spray peppermint oil around the areas where ants enter your kitchen or place peppermint leaves in those areas.
- Vinegar – Vinegar is a strong smelling liquid which ants don’t like. So, spraying vinegar around the areas where ants are seen entering your kitchen will help keep them away.
- Citrus Fruits – The strong smell of citrus fruits like lemons and oranges also repels ants. So, placing slices of these fruits around the areas where ants enter your kitchen will help keep them away.
- Salt – Salt is another effective ant repellent. All you need to do is to sprinkle some salt around the areas where ants are seen entering your kitchen.
Use a Natural or Chemical-Based Ant Killer
There are many different types of ant killers available in the market. But, before using any of them, it’s important to know that most of them contain toxic chemicals which can be harmful to humans and pets. So, it’s always better to go for natural or chemical-free ant killers. Two of the most effective natural ant killers are listed below:
- Diatomaceous Earth – Diatomaceous earth is a powder which is made from the fossilized remains of algae. It’s effective in killing ants by puncturing their exoskeletons.
- Neem Oil – Neem oil is extracted from the seeds of the neem tree. It’s effective in killing ants by disrupting their life cycle.